If you want to make a payment

please note you can make a card payment online by selecting My Account.

If you want to advise us of an incorrect email address, change of address or an incorrect address

please note once we have been notified of this change by you, we will update our records accordingly.

If you want to advise us that you are dealing with a debt management company (DMC)

please ensure you provided us with the name, address and reference number of your appointed DMC.

If you want to advise us that you are subject to bankruptcy, IVA or a debt relief order (DRO)

please ensure you provide us with the name and address of the person and organisation managing your financial affairs and your reference number


should be made payable to Capital Recoveries and must include our reference number on the reverse.

If you want to contact us regarding dispute or query and have requested supporting documentation

once we receive this request from you, we will contact our client to arrange this. Ordinarily we would like to provide this within 30 days but if there is a delay, we will keep you updated.

If there are any other circumstances you feel we should know about, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss these with you ensuring you provide your reference so we can locate your account promptly.

01604 686052
Swan Court, Lamport, Northamptonshire, NN6 9EZ
Developed by MornaDev